• Users Online: 214
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 2  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 303-310

Surgical outcomes of obstructive mechanical valve thrombosis, risk factors, and comorbidity analysis


Cardiothoracic Department, National Heart Institute, Cairo, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Ahmed Shafeek Ali
Cardiothoracic Department, National Heart Institute, Cairo
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/JMISR.JMISR_61_19

Rights and Permissions

Background Obstructive mechanical valves thrombosis is a life-threatening complication associated with high morbidity and mortality. Although thrombolytic therapy has gained a lot of popularity in recent years, yet the treatment of choice is still controversial. Objective The aim of this study was to evaluate the outcomes of patients who underwent redo valve surgery for obstructive mechanical valve thrombosis. Patients and methods Outcomes of 380 patients who underwent emergency redo surgery for obstructive mechanical valve thrombosis at our institute during a 5-year period (January 2012 to December 2017) were reviewed retrospectively. Clinical symptoms and transthoracic echocardiography were the mainstay in diagnosis. Fluoroscopy was used in the presence of dilemma regarding diagnosis. All patients were treated on an emergency basis. Postoperative outcomes were analyzed to determine risk factors and comorbidities affecting mortality rates in this high-risk group of patients. Results Number of patients was 380, with prevalence of female sex being 268 (70.52%). Mean age was 32.65 ± 10.70 years. Associated comorbidities were hypertension in 96 (25.26%), diabetes mellitus in 32 (8.42%), elevated liver enzymes in 32 (8.42%), elevated creatinine in 44 (11.57%), and preoperative cardiac arrest in eight (2.10%). Overall mortality was seen in 52 (13.68%) patients. Risk factors influencing mortality rates were preoperative hemodynamic instability, increased NYHA class, renal dysfunction, low left ventricular ejection fraction, and right ventricle dysfunction. Moreover, mortality was significantly affected by repetition of redo surgery, long bypass and cross-clamp time, high postoperative cardiac support, duration of mechanical ventilation, and ICU stay. Conclusion Prosthetic valve thrombosis is a life-threatening situation associated with substantial risk regardless of treatment modality. Late presentation with hemodynamic instability, increased NYHA class, low left ventricular ejection fraction, and severe right ventricle dysfunction carry worst prognosis in surgically treated patients.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed96    
    Printed2    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded9    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal